The prospect of cancer can be intimidating. However, a proactive stance can allow you to treat the cancer or any illness more effectively and greatly increase your chances of a successful recovery. When you visit our dentist, Dr. Brian Han, you will receive an oral cancer screening. In the initial stages, oral cancer may be painless, and its symptoms can be similar to other health issues. While it often appears in the oral tissues, it can also affect the lips, tongue, cheeks, the hard and soft palate, and even the sinuses and throat. Some of the symptoms of oral cancer can include:
- Red or white speckles or patches in your mouth
- Unexplained oral bleeding
- Ear pain, a sore throat or a feeling of something caught in your throat
- Bumps or rough spots on the soft tissue of your mouth
- A sore in your mouth or face that does not heal
- Problems with your oral functions
Oral cancer can cause serious problems for your oral health, and if it is not treated, it can be fatal. However, if it is detected early, it can be successfully addressed, which will allow you to enjoy a healthy smile. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above, contact Fircrest Family Dental at 253-341-4814 to schedule an oral cancer screening in Fircrest, Washington.